Monday, January 29, 2007

A Few Of My Favorite Things...

The Prodigy - "The Prodigy Experience"

The early 1990's was a heady time for electronic music - if you were actually listening to it in the early 1990's that is. A period that for many people probably seems relatively dated in it's sound, the early 90's did not yield many great "techno" artist albums. "The Prodigy Experience" stands as one of the few examples in my opinion of a timeless blend of the era's many redeeming guilty pleasures, from the squealing chipmunk vocals, hyper pitched beats and whistles, to the dirty bass wobbles and anthemic piano lines.

What separated the Prodigy was their ability to display great, almost pop like hooks over top of "rave music" (which at the time seemed completely foreign to my friends and I). Growing up in the small Ontario town (and former quaker mecca) of Uxbridge, I was exposed to a more diverse range of music than was normal for teens from other small towns (respects to the James St. Bass show). Yes, the heady days of pick up truck sound systems in the parking lot outside the high school battling for metal supremacy weren't much of a resource for underground music. In fact the exposure to sounds like the Prodigy was really a fluke in many ways. I recall it was my friend Tim who arrived back from a trip to Ireland with a 12" by a group of digital punks out of Essex. I can still remember hearing "Out of Space" and being absolutely in awe of the sound. I can also recall trying to figure out what each of the groups four members played, only to soon realize it was one guy on a drum machine and a keyboard with three dancers.

The whole "Prodigy Experience" has much to offer though, and "Out of Space" only scratches the surface. From the bowel shaking bass solo mid way through "Charly" (that we could never quite hear in my friend Daryl's Ford Tempo), the demonic proclamation of "Fire", or the mash up madness of "Everybody in the Place", every song has something to grab your attention and keep you rushing. My fondest memories of this album were using it as the official soundtrack to marathon sessions of the video game Sonic the Hedgehog for Sega Genesis. Of course the gaming system is long gone, but Experience has managed to survive my ever expanding musical tastes all these years, playing in heavy rotation on my iPod at the gym.



The album like the game may seem dated by today's standards, but there really is no dismissing the fondness I recall having for them; a fondness that came with experiencing both in there prime.

1 comment:

K2 said...

Snap! I couldn't agree more regarding the poor outing that was Always Outnumbered. Although Girls really was a great single (please see "only single) from that album.