Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Unfortunate, But True...


Hinder - "Lips of An Angel"

My love for music is quite far reaching, genre defying in many cases. I pride myself on being open minded about a lot of music, probably a by product of my years as a wedding DJ. That said, I believe playing music for people in love has also created a healthy degree of contempt for things that musically tend to annoy me, songs I define as "Unfortunate, But True". These songs don't necessarily follow any formula, but they certainly posess the misfortune of being heard on the wrong day at the wrong time, thus pushing them into the "loathed" section of my brain.

Candidate one is Hinder's "Lips of An Angel". Long before I knew the title of this tune or the band who performed it, this song annoyed me. It started while I was watching videos on MuchMusic one night with my girlfriend (which is pretty much the only time I watch videos on MuchMusic. Coincidence?). The video features a guy singing the lines from the song into a phone to the woman he supposedly lusts after, while his "girl's in the next room" (line from the song, so clever). As contrived as it is lame, this song sounds a lot like another band I really can't stand Nickelback, but simply a cheap imitation. Is it the whiney vocals, or the tortured soul image that screems big 80's rock revival? Does it really matter?

The first thing I thought of when I heard this song was how much it reminded me of another song by rock supergroup Velvet Revolver "Fall to Pieces" (another candidate for a rant like this). The big difference is that at least Velvot Revolver has Scott Weiland all strung out in the video, which you know is completely authentic since Scott has had his fair share of "issues" involving his life actually "falling to pieces" (ahhh heroine, what a drug).

All that said, the main reason for voting this song as "Unfortunate, But True" is how it feels waking up to it. For two consecutive mornings a few weeks ago my alarm clock radio greeted me with the "lips of an angel". Starting your day with a kiss like that hurts in a way that smoking a pack of cigarettes before going to sleep only to wake up with the tar stuck to your brain does. Yes, it hurts... and so does this song.

3 comments:

amy whittingham said...

Yeah, sometimes hearing a song for the first time via a really lame video can ruin it. But I suspect this song just sucks. I can't quite seem to remember it even thought I believe I am the aforementioned "girlfriend".

-Amy.

Trom said...

i became very afraid when i saw this and read the first half of the first sentence...

"My love for music is quite far reaching..."

reading further, my fear turned to reassurance.

K2 said...

A misleading intro for sure... I'm glad you have retained an ounce of respect for me by continuing to read. I'm not sure I could live with myself if you were under the impression I really dug Hinder.